Instagram, you might have seen that Will and I got ENGAGED this past weekend! The past 72 hours have been both exciting and surreal and I couldn't be more excited for this next phase in our relationship! You might be wondering how it happened and want all of the details, and don't you worry, I'm going to do just that! But there is so much to tell, so I am going to tell you everything in three separate posts. Oh, a fun fact to start with...three is Will and I's lucky number. More on that later :)
So let me start with telling you about Friday night which was as normal as they come. Typically, our Friday nights go the same every week and this past Friday was pretty ordinary. I got off work right around five, came home, took Miller for a nice long walk and after coming back inside, fed the pup and texted Will to see what time he would be getting home. Will told me he would be getting home between 6:00-7:00 PM and because the weather was so nice outside, suggested that we go out to eat and enjoy a meal outdoors.
We settled on going to Hickory Tavern which was right down the road from us and close to a Redbox (we rented Non-Stop which was such a great action/thriller movie) which was perfect because we wanted to watch a movie later that night. Also pretty normal since our Friday nights consists of dinner and a movie 70% of the time!
So that was Friday night. Saturday morning rolled around and I let Will sleep in since he had an extremely busy work week, and I might have secretly wanted to watch Austenland before he woke up! Such a chick flick and oh so good! After Will woke up around 10:00 AM, we got ready and headed to brunch at my favorite place; The Flying Biscuit. We enjoyed a great meal and then Will told me that he wanted to go the mall to look for some more shirts and pants that he could wear to work. He had mentioned wanting to go to the mall earlier on in the week, and I knew he needed some more work clothes so I thought nothing of this.
So we hit up Nordstrom, took advantage of their anniversary sale, made our way to Banana Republic and then as we were walking around, Will asks "If you had to pick your favorite store at the mall, what would you say yours is? For me, I would say Nordstrom". This caught me off guard a little but I replied "I'm not sure I have a favorite, but I love Anthropologie". That's all it took before Will then said "Let's go there so you can find a dress to wear tonight for our double date! My treat"! So of course I said yes and off to Anthro we went!
Oh let me back up for a minute...Earlier on in the week, Will asked if I wanted to go on a double date with one of his co-workers and his wife on Saturday night. Will said that all four of us could go to dinner (which we had even settled on going to Mimosa Grill) and then to see a movie (and I had even told Will I would like to go see 22 Jump Street). So towards the end of the week I was giddy and excited for our "date weekend"; both with Will and for our double date.
Okay, fast forward to Saturday again. After a quick stroll inside Anthropologie, I came out empty handed. I know, I know. That's pretty impossible to do but I did. I just couldn't find a dress that screamed out for my attention. But like any girl, I did say that I found an awesome clutch back when we were at Nordstrom that I loved and would be happy to take with me on our double date! So instead of a dress, I left with new arm candy ;)
After the mall we went back to the condo. The first thing I wanted to do was go in my closet and see if I had anything I would want to wear to dinner for that night. While I was doing that, Will got a "phone call" and told me he had to go into the office to get a few things done before dinner and said it would only take a couple of hours. This was pretty normal being the type of job Will has so I again thought nothing of this.
About 20 minutes after Will had left, I got a knock on the front door. To my surprise it was Emily, one of my best friends who just moved to Charlotte. The only thing I could think to say was "What are you doing here"? Emily explained to me that Will had called her and told her to come over to keep me company because he felt bad that he had to go into work on our date day. At this point I knew something was up, but Emily did such a good job playing her undercover role that I was convinced (just a little) that that night was in fact not the night I would be getting proposed to. But little did I know!
- Emily came inside and I questioned her left and right trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
- Emily explained that she had NO idea what I was talking about and that Will told her a while back that he would let her know when "the day had come" and cue her in on all the details. Emily went on to say things like "I would let you know if something was up" and "I can't lie to you"!
- Emily suggested we go get our nails done and I told her I didn't want to spend money and had already done mine myself. She said let's go to the mall and get our makeup done and I told her that I had just been at the mall with Will and was "not in the mood" to go back. She then went on to say that she needed to go by her friend's apartment (who happens to also be a teacher) to pick up a camera that she needed to borrow for a school related task she had to done. If you can't tell I was being very stubborn and making their "plans" difficult! Whoops!
- We finally left my condo and I went with Emily to her friends apartment. While we were gone Will had come home and decorated the place with flowers, chocolate, a bottle of wine, love songs playing on the TV, and left a note on the counter for me to read.
- At this point I knew something was up, but Emily still made me think that I was wrong! She did a VERY good job acting things out on her part. Either way, I knew I needed to get ready for my dinner date and managed to get ready without asking to many more questions!
- Will sent me a text message saying that he would not be able to come home before dinner and asked if I cold get Emily to drop me off at his co-worker's apartment Uptown. Emily said she would be able to do that since the date she was going on that night was right around the corner.
- At 5:30 PM, Emily and I left and headed Uptown where I was supposed to be dropped off to meet Will...and next Wednesday I will pick back up with my second post on everything that happened once I was dropped off for my "dinner date".
I hope you all enjoyed my first post that goes over the story of how everything happened! In the meantime, check out my Instagram page (@mscheek) for sneek peak pictures (aka the RING) and much more!